Author Topic: UFO sightings in South Africa  (Read 18 times)

0 Members and 0 Guests are viewing this topic.

UFO sightings in South Africa
« on: March 16, 2020, 11:59:04 am »
1914 phantom monoplanes

From 11 August to 9 September 1914, thousands of South Africans in various parts of the country observed what they believed to be a nighttime monoplane, or believed to observe its headlights, while in some cases the aerial vehicle performed sophisticated maneuvers. This was in the weeks leading up to the South West Africa campaign during the First World War, and many suspected a hostile German monoplane on a possible spy or bombing mission. However, these possibilities were discounted and the provenance of the plane remained unknown. Likewise its destination, landing or refueling places and the identity of its pilot remained unknown, causing some to examine it as a case of mass hysteria.

1957 sighting

On 1 November 1957 at 9:15, during his morning walk at Luipaardsvlei gold mine in Krugersdorp, major Gordon Ogilvie-Watson, 4th squadron SAAF commander, encountered a man who had spotted an object in the sky. To the naked eye it resembled a metallic ball hovering at some 18,000 metres (59,000 ft) altitude. Binocular observation revealed that it was definitely disc-shaped and rotating rapidly, while moving vertically and horizontally. More than 50 factory workers soon joined them and could see it as well. Ogilvie-Watson commented: "It was something that was not ours. I had never seen anything like it before." He called AFB Waterkloof to report it. Commander V.J.L. Boyle received various reports of the object from 11:00 to 11:30, at which point he ordered that it must be investigated. A Saber jet piloted by lieutenant C.A. Melville lifted off just afterwards to identify it, and climbed to the Sabre's maximum altitude of 45,000 feet (14,000 m). Captain G.A.P. Page directed Melville's plane from the ground while receiving updates from an observer in Johannesburg, who like Ogilvie-Watson, could see both the Sabre and disc. Melville never made visual contact due to bright skies, and the search was given up at 12:20. From the ground Ogilvie-Watson watched as the Sabre pilot searched the right area, though staying about 6,000 metres (20,000 ft) too low. He described the disc as "much larger than the jet." Other planes were directed to the area where two silver discs were now reported, but these were equally unsuccessful. The first object suddenly departed southwards at high speed, followed by the second. It was established that no weather balloons were in the sky at the time.

1960s sightings

In January 1960, mr. D. Coetzee, manager for a large insurance firm in Port Elizabeth, noticed a noiseless, silvery cigar-shaped craft while travelling home at 17:40. It had no visible means of propulsion but was slowly moving eastwards at an estimated 20,000 feet (6,100 m) altitude, when it suddenly accelerated and disappeared in seconds.

According to NICAP and Flying Saucer Review magazine, after midnight on 16 September 1965, police constables Lockem and de Klerk observed a shiny, copper-coloured craft which had landed astride the white middle line of the Pretoria–Bronkhorstspruit road, at a spot that was deserted 5 minutes earlier. Their patrol vehicle allegedly cut out as they watched the craft rapidly ascending, while emitting a sea of flames through two portals below. The 30 feet (9.1 m) wide disc, shaped like a spinning top, darted silently in a northwesterly direction, leaving the asphalt ablaze for many minutes afterwards. According to NICAP, the incident was confirmed in a press release by Lt colonel J. B. Brits, district commandant of Pretoria North, but scientists from the C.S.I.R. who were asked to investigate the 6 ft wide, buckled and charred imprint, ridiculed the saucer explanation. Constable Lockem, aided by a staff artist of Die Vaderland newspaper, provided a sketch of the craft. Residents of the East Rand reported an "enormous white light" and a "red ball" in their skies earlier that night.

1970s sightings

Bennie Smit, new owner of Braeside farm near Fort Beaufort in the eastern Cape, claimed to have fired shots at an unknown object during the morning of 26 June 1972. He was alerted to it by his labourer, Boer de Klerk, who at 9:00 noticed a fireball of some 2.5 feet (0.76 m) in diameter, moving about at treetop height.[12] Smit believed his eight shots were accurately aimed, but these had little effect. Police sergeant Piet Kitching and police station commander P.R. van Rensburg arrived at 10:00 and additional shots were fired. They stated that it had been changing its colour up to this point, but now assumed the appearance of a gunmetal grey, somewhat oval-shaped 44-gallon drum. After two final shots were fired from a mere 10 m distance, the object receded into impenetrable woods. Smit had a final sighting after 12 noon, but subsequently heard its sound at night. Imprints of its supposed landing gear were found in hard clay. Though the Grahamstown army regiment was said to have investigated the site, the base could later not produce any records of the event. The incident received coverage by international press, and led to businesses capitalizing on the incident, with a tavern calling itself the "UFO Bar" and painting flying saucers on the walls and the local Savoy Hotel keeping clippings of the stories posted on its walls. In a humorous editorial, the New Scientist stated the apartheid South African government was "very fastidious about the sort of immigrants she welcomes and little green men may very well be on the prohibited list".

On the evening of 12 November 1972 four soldiers at Rosmead in the eastern Cape were guarding a large fuel depot when they observed a set of rotating red lights from near their duty room. These were 1.5 metres above the school's tennis court, but went out before they could investigate. When headmaster Harold Truter arrived about 10 minutes later at Rosmead Junior School, he observed an unusual light hovering silently over a nearby ridge, which was casting an oblique beam to the ground. A 'flickering glow' over the locked tennis court caused him to investigate. Broken and molten asphalt and different sets of symmetrically placed imprints were found, subsequently considered to be a UFO landing site. Additional asphalt fragments were later found strewn 183 m away on a nearby ridge, and nearby Eucalypt trees were badly scorched and soon died. An hour after Truter's discovery the object could be seen by two police officers in Middelburg, looking though binoculars from 10 km away. Additional UFO sightings were claimed from the vicinity, notably that of a supposed landed craft at Ouberg on the outskirts of Middelburg, from which small red beings would have emerged. A search team deployed in the immediate aftermath could not find any traces however.

On 15 January 1973 the Sucknow couple were travelling with their two children from East London to Johannesburg when at 00:30, on the approach to Penhoek Pass near Queenstown, they observed a 30 m wide disc with large portholes hovering about seven metres above the deserted road. As they drew near, it moved some 90 m from the road. The bottom section was lit in orange light and it was emitting orange smoke. They experienced a drop in temperature as they drove past it.

On the morning of 31 July 1975 Danie van Graan, aged 66, came upon an oval-shaped craft with rounded windows on his sheep farm near Loxton. It was resting on the ground supported by four prong-like legs, which afterwards left clear imprints. Looking through a large side window from 4 metres away he could clearly see four shortish, blond and sharp-chinned beings inside, who were operating various instruments. When they became aware of his presence, a beam of light was activated which shone on his face. This immediately caused various adverse sensations, and his nose bled. The craft's whine increased and it took off at a sharp angle.

On 29 September 1978 a resident Indian woman reported a disc-shaped object taking off from the Groendal Nature Reserve near Uitenhage, eastern Cape. Three days later, on 2 October, four school boys from Despatch, aged 12 to 16, observed three silvery-clad men in the reserve while hiking. Two of the men arrived from the direction of a shining object, and joined a third to ascend a steep incline on what seemed to be fins, before all disappeared. A set of 9 regular imprints found a month later, was deemed related to the reflective object.

1990s sightings

On 7 April 1991, at 11:15 pm a hovering triangular craft with red central light, and white star-like lights on each extremity, was observed by a family at Baviaanspoort, Pretoria. A similar craft was sighted in the nearby Eersterust township on the evenings of 8 and 9 April, either stationary or moving. These sightings occurred about a year after the Belgian UFO flap concluded. A decade later another hovering triangular craft was reported by a family travelling in the Hartbeespoort area, about 50 km to the west.

On 18 November 1993, at 10:15 pm, Messrs du Plessis and Venter, residents of Sasolburg, observed a craft arriving from the direction of Vereeniging. The craft departed in a flash in the direction of Parys, but returned some three minutes later. The craft, similar in appearance to a water droplet, was observed to change colour and shape. With time individual lights were distinguished, and the body was determined to be cigar-shaped. While contained in a yellowish to orange glow, it emitted a downward blue light, before once again departing in a flash, upwards. A nearby town resident claimed to have found imprints of a small craft's landing gear, some two months later.

In September and October 1994 a farmer at Warrenton claimed to have made repeated observations of a noisy, nighttime craft travelling at great speeds, besides what he described as a 'mothership'. The craft's noise was compared to the sound of a helicopter or Volkswagen Beetle engine. The farmer's general claims were supported by four independent observers.

A UFO flap swept South Africa from late March to mid April 1995, which was widely reported in the media. At De Brug a hovering object was videoed by a mrs Erasmus, and the police notified at 02:20, who could confirm its presence upon arrival. Around 08:30 that morning a farmer, Jan Pienaar, reportedly encountered a landed craft that blocked his way for three minutes on a rural road south of Coligny. Physical effects were reported; at Coligny, the small truck's engine cut out and the observer felt as if pinned to the ground, while the landing site was left scorching hot to the touch. At Lindley the observers reported that their digital watches stopped as the object passed by.

At 4:00 am on 28 August 1996 a glowing disc was videoed by on duty Sgt Nico Stander of the Adriaan Vlok police station, Pretoria,[39] and Pretoria resident Johann Becker noticed it hovering over Erasmuskloof. The pulsating disc contained a red triangle, and at one point emitted bright green tentacles. A chase ensued involving some 200 policemen and a Bo-105 police chopper, piloted by Supt Fred Viljoen. The chopper with five officers took to the air at 5:30 am and spotted the object over Mamelodi. Viljoen was in contact with radar operators at AFB Waterkloof, who reported radar clutter in its vicinity.[39] While pursued by the chopper, it performed vertical and horizontal undulating movements, while outpacing the chopper at maximum speed (some 270 km/h). The chase was given up at 10,000 feet (3,000 m) in the Cullinan area, when their fuel ran low and the object made a vertical ascent. An object was sighted in the area again during the early hours of 31 August and 1 September.

In the early hours of 1 September 1996 (thus concurrent with the above) a Krugersdorp resident observed a round craft with antennas below, that emitted a rumbling sound as it followed an earth-hugging trajectory, some 200 metres above the ground. Its speed was compared with that of a light aircraft.

Around the end of July 1997 a hovering, cylindrical light or shiny cloud, was filmed by Andreas Mathios in the sky above the town of Trichardt, in the current western Mpumalanga province. Besides Mathios, it was independently observed by three other persons around 6:50 am. The light suddenly dropped and rose again before disappearing. Sasol 2 and 3 allegedly had a temporary power outage that morning. Andreas Mathios phoned air traffic control to get information about any objects detected in the airspace. Trichardt was also the scene of a 1985 sighting.

In September 1997 Frank Valentyn (and apparently other motorists) observed an enormous stationary tower of about a dozen stacked discs from the N1 freeway in Pretoria. He suspected that those below were "daughter discs" released by the "mothership" above, which he estimated to be 1.7 kilometres (1.1 mi) in diameter. The lowest disc in the stack would detach and depart in a seemingly random direction at regular intervals, and each disc had a set of orange lights around its perimeter. He reported his observation to the Johannesburg Planetarium.

On 27 December 1998 the Laubscher family videotaped a group of roundish triangular craft passing over the town of Graaff Reinet, at about 25,000 ft. These were changing colour (red to blue and bright white) and sometimes circled one another, before being overtaken by a much larger, shiny, gold-coloured craft. At this point all the objects departed to a cloud bank on the horizon.

On 8 May 2000, at 3:24 am, police inspector Kriel claimed to have observed an approaching UFO while travelling on the N3 freeway, 70 km north of Warden in the eastern Free State province. The orange, oval-shaped light was fitted with two cupolas, one above and another below, and was wide enough to cover four lanes of the freeway. After a close approach the craft receded again. A follow up report claimed that the vicinity is known for moving light apparitions.

21st century

On 27 June 2004, Roshnie Naidu observed and video-taped a very bright, colourful light that was suspended near her home in Durban for three hours. She was able to alert family members and neighbours to its presence, and observed it changing shape from circular to oval.

In 2009 two formations of high-flying, orange-red objects, were seen by many witnesses, and video-recorded by some, as they travelled between the towns of Middelburg and Witbank, 25 kilometres (16 mi) apart. The first formation of seven objects were seen at 21:51 on 27 February, as they flew westwards from Middelburg towards Witbank. Due to their altitude they eventually disappeared behind clouds. At 20:00 on 6 March, they were noted again high in the sky, but this time greater in number, 23, and traveling in the opposite direction.

On the evenings of 21 and 22 July 2010, residents of Booysens, Pretoria, observed a triangle of bright lights which hung motionless in the sky for two hours. In each instance the object commenced a slow descent towards the horizon at 20:30. Binocular observation revealed nothing more than a blue and emerald light, with a white light which shone straight downwards.

On the evenings of 11, 20 and 21 May 2011, a host of silent, orange lights with consistent luminosity were observed as they travelled faster than a commercial aeroplane over Tierpoort near Pretoria (some 20 objects) and Krugersdorp respectively. On 15 June seven of these objects were observed and some photographed as they crossed the sky in single file over Tierpoort. At 22:00 on 30 October 2011, a Mr van Greuning photographed two of the five silent fireballs which he observed traveling southwards in low cloud near the town of Harrismith.

wo Prestbury residents noticed an orange orb in the sky over Pietermaritzburg in November 2015, and obtained a blurry photograph. Shortly afterwards, on 22 November 2015, Ian Carbutt managed to take another cellphone photo of the last of four orange orbs travelling swiftly in single file over Roberts road, Clarendon, in the direction of Greytown. Six days later, on the evening 28 November, social media was abuzz with various reports of what seemed to be a green light hanging in the sky over Long Street, Cape Town.

Around 21:30 on 12 December 2016, while on an eastward course some 10 nautical miles offshore from Jeffreys Bay, the captain and co-pilot of a Boeing 737 cargo aircraft saw an unidentified glowing green object rise past their cockpit. It reached a cloud layer some 1,000 feet (300 m) above their plane before turning back to earth, this time speeding downwards past their cockpit. A green parachute flare was suspected, but then ruled out due to the altitude reached. Officials at Port Elizabeth Airport suspected that a stricken vessel or aircraft might be involved, but the NSRI found that none were overdue or missing.

Abduction and contact scenarios

1954–1963 contactee

Elizabeth Klarer (née Woollatt; 1 July 1910 – February 1994) was a South African who claimed to have been contacted by extraterrestrials between 1954 and 1963. She claimed to have had UFO encounters from the age of seven, and was one of the first women to claim a sexual relationship with an extraterrestrial. Following her supposed encounters, she promoted the ideal of better world for all people. This she endeavored to accomplish through the dissemination of the truth of the universe, and the fostering of a cosmic consciousness and acceptance of life's purpose among the public. In her book Beyond the Light Barrier, she strived to convey a message of peace, love, understanding and environmentalism, which she credited to the superior wisdom of the advanced and immaculately utopian Venusian civilization. She believed that an international, even cosmic, "above top-secret" cover-up was essentially keeping this information from the public, and claimed that she had been threatened with abduction if she would not hand over details of alien technology.

Elizabeth was born in 1910 at Mooi River, Natal,[8] as the youngest daughter of SB and Florence Woollatt. SB was a pioneering veterinary surgeon who subsequently settled at Connington farm near Rosetta in the Natal midlands. Here he became a successful shorthorn farmer, and as dedicated polo player, introduced young people to the sport.

Here, at age seven, Elizabeth and her older sister Barbara also had their first supposed UFO encounter. While feeding their Sealyham puppies outside the farmhouse Elizabeth and her sister claimed that they witnessed a silver disc bathed in a pearly luster which swooped over them. Simultaneously a giant, orange-red and cratered planetoid was observed orbiting and rotating high in the atmosphere. The disc would have rushed to meet it, pacing and guiding it northwards, while the planetoid left a smoke trail in its wake.

Only months later she would have had another sighting in the company of Ladam, their Zulu farm manager. Ladam interpreted the sighting in terms of Zulu mythology. Elizabeth sometimes alluded to an even earlier sighting, at age three in 1913/14.

Elizabeth matriculated from St. Anne's Diocesan College in Pietermaritzburg, and moved to Florence, Italy, to study art and music. Thereafter she completed a four-year diploma in meteorology at Girton College, Cambridge, and was taught by her first husband to fly a Tiger Moth light aircraft.[5] In 1932 the three Woollatt sisters and Maureen Taylor formed the Connington polo team and drew a match against the Durban ladies' team, which is seen as the first officially recorded ladies' match in South Africa.] During a 1937 flight from Durban to Baragwanath in a Leopard Moth aircraft, she and her husband would have seen a saucer which approached, coasted along, and then departed from them. During World War II she held a responsible position in RAF Intelligence.

She believed in telepathic powers, and tried to enhance these abilities since her youth.

Flying Saucer Hill

In 1954, her sister May, then resident on the farm Whyteleafe in the Natal midlands, relayed to her that the native Zulu people were reporting appearances of the lightning bird in the sky. In response Elizabeth and her children travelled from Johannesburg to the farm, and she ascended Flying Saucer Hill the following day, December 27th. There she claimed to have seen the star ship descend and hover three metres above ground, while only emitting a soft hum. Its hull was spinning, though its central dome remained stationary. The spaceman who would later identify himself as Akon was clearly visible through one of three portholes. A barrier of heat emanating from the ship would have prevented her from approaching however, and his scout ship departed again.

Some 18 months later, she would visit the hilltop again, after further reports of the lighting bird. On this occasion, on 7 April 1956, Akon would have taken her aboard his scout ship, a craft some 60 feet (18 m) in diameter. Once inside, she would have met a second pilot, stocky and darker-skinned than Akon, who was supposedly a foremost botanist, besides astrophysicist, by profession. She was allegedly shown a lens which offered views of earth and people through the craft's floor. With only a hum emanating from below and no sense of movement, they would have been transported to the enormous cigar-shaped mother ship which had a garden-like interior. After meeting its inhabitants, she would have been returned to the hilltop, a similar arrangement as that made between Adamski and Orthon in 1952. During the encounter kisses were exchanged and Akon revealed that Elizabeth was in fact a reincarnated Venusian, and long-lost soulmate. He further explained that they would infrequently take earth women as partners, as the offspring would strengthen their race with an infusion of new blood. He also claimed that a number of Venusians were surreptitiously living among people.

From 17:45 on the 30th of April 1956, various independent observers noted a steady red glow poised at a rocky section of the hill, which remained there until 2:00 in the morning. No sign of a fire could be found afterwards.

On July 17, 1956, after their family farm was sold, she made a subsequent visit to the area, and claimed to have taken a series of 7 photos of Akon's scout ship using her sister's (or daughter's) simple Brownie box camera. Vivid light flashes would have turned into a dull grey craft enveloped in a shimmering heat haze. For all of an hour the disc would have darted silently over a rise near the farmhouse, making several weaving detours, and it would have shone silvery in bright sunlight before streaking away out of sight. Edgar Sievers, a ufologist from Pretoria, stated that her family saw her leave the homestead alone, and suggested that the frail Elizabeth would have found it difficult to throw a car hubcap and photograph it at the same time. He also stated that no make of hubcap had been illustrated to sufficiently resemble the disc in the photos.


In April 1958 a series of contacts would have started which would set her story apart from the 1950s standard. These visits by Akon would have culminated in a day-long rendezvous with Elizabeth on the high plateau of Cathkin Peak, where he supposedly presented her with a silver ring which enhanced their telepathic connection. Their love was then consummated and a child was conceived at her advanced age of 48 years.

"I surrendered in ecstasy to the magic of his love making, our bodies merging in magnetic union as the divine essence of our spirits became one."

After a terrestrial pregnancy she (with her MG car) would have been transported in 1959 to Akon's home planet, Meton, supposedly orbiting Proxima Centauri in the nearby multiple-star system Alpha Centauri. There she would have delivered the male child. Her son, Ayling, stayed behind on Meton to be educated, while Elizabeth reluctantly came home. Meton's planetary vibrations affected her heart, and she was consequently not permitted to return there, instead receiving follow-up visits from Akon and Ayling. The whole trip, delivery and return trip supposedly required less than four months, sufficiently long to enable a nine year stay on Meton however.

"There were no cities or skyscrapers as Earth people know them anywhere on Meton. Homes were scattered in park-like grounds... There was an abundance of all things needed by civilization – food, water and all materials for building, an unlimited supply of energy on tap from the atmosphere and the Universe, no shortages of any kind and no monetary system at all."

Klarer took far more time before publishing a book, Beyond the Light Barrier (1980), about her extraterrestrial adventures. On his world lecture tour in the late 1950s, George Adamski made a point of visiting South Africa and looking up Klarer for a chat on their variety of experiences with the friendly, wise "space brothers." By that time, Klarer was not the only Adamski follower to experience claimed space-motherhood.

Later years

After her sister and brother-in-law died, Elizabeth returned from Natal to Johannesburg. There she worked for a time in a CNA book store, but found city life stifling. From the 1950s onwards her outlandish claims made her a darling of the press, who also loved to ridicule her. She welcomed any press however, as the dissemination of Akon's message was paramount – a life-task of extreme importance. The account of her observations and contact experience in Flying Saucer Review of Nov-Dec 1956 was noticed by Edith Nicolaisen. Nicolaisen's correspondence with Elizabeth consists of 23 letters, written from 1956 to 1976. She published the Klarer story in the small booklet I rymdskepp över Drakensberg in 1959, and a second edition appeared in 1967.From about 1960 to 1966 Elizabeth worked on the manuscript for her book, which now included the Akon love saga, as she couldn't "hide the truth in these matters." In 1968 Elizabeth agreed to be interviewed by ufologist Cynthia Hind, and Hind's write-up of her story appeared in Fate magazine of August that year. Ufologist Kitty Smith established contact with Elizabeth after reading about her in Outspan magazine, and claimed her own sighting of Akon's ship in January 1984.

When another South African, Ann Grevler, claimed alien contact in the late 1950s, Elizabeth was outspoken and issued various challenges to her to defend her statements in an open forum. Likewise she denounced Philipp Human's supposed contact through a trance medium, and this caused a rift between them. In her view the space people would never stoop to such methods. In 1975 she was invited by Hermann Oberth to attend the 11th International Congress of UFO Research Groups in Wiesbaden, Germany. She delivered an address there on 2 November, for which she received a standing ovation. In May 1992 Smith arranged a talk by Klarer at the Unidentified Flying Object Club in Pietermaritzburg. This was so popular that the crowd grew too large to cope with.

Elizabeth faithfully commemorated the April 7th anniversary of her union with Akon by returning to Flying Saucer Hill. On one occasion she befriended SAAF helicopter pilots who sought shelter on the farm during a storm, and they facilitated visits to the hill when a ride on horseback became too difficult for her. Her third husband Aubrey Fielding died in 1981 and his ashes were strewn on the hill. Elizabeth died of breast cancer at age 84, leaving her second book The Gravity File unfinished. The book would have filled in the gaps of the first, besides elucidating the military and political aspects of UFO research, and explaining Akon's "electro-gravity propulsion" technology. Before her death she related to acquaintances that Ayling (like Akon) was now an astrophysicist, who was crisscrossing the universe with his father, his space woman Clea, and their son.


Thomas J. Streicher (Ph.D.) concludes that Klarer's claims are generally poorly substantiated, despite some of them being corroborated by witnesses. Her sister and first husband for instance attested two UFO sightings, but witnesses are lacking to confirm her pregnancy, and it remains unknown whether it was ever documented. He speculates that she was perhaps a fantasy-prone individual who merely imagined most of her experiences.[4] Elizabeth's son David, in particular, has no recollection of an event, absence or pregnancy of his mother that could tie in with her purported space adventures in 1959.

Ufologist Cynthia Hind noted Elizabeth's absolute conviction that she was telling the truth, and never suspected that she was deliberately lying. Hind suspected that an active imagination or illusions borne from a dream-state of euphoria were to be blamed for the improbabilities and inconsistencies inherent to her stories. Both Hind and Smith however alluded to sightings of Akon by members of the public, and Hind concluded: "all these factors need examination and it is time we stopped casting aside [such] cases which, although sounding like hoaxes, are not obviously so." Ufologist Edgar Sievers, who also interviewed her family, was completely satisfied that her experiences, at least up to and including the photographs, were of a physical rather than psychic nature.

Ufologist Philipp Human initially heaped effusively praise on Elizabeth, but later changed his stance: "I do not believe one word of her supposed […] contacts and it was a standing joke the way she was helped to photograph an ordinary motor car hubcap. So much for her photographs […] That was before she added additional material to tell of her pregnancy caused by her Venusian lover, […] I pray that this book will never be published." To this Edith Nicolaisen replied: "Don't be afraid, we shall never publish [the story of her Venusian lover, but] I would like to reprint [the] booklet about her contacts. I do believe that she has had some sort of contact."

The Mensa chapter of Johannesburg did not take kindly to her claims and she was heckled during her address. Hard evidence for her claim that she addressed the House of Lords in 1983, and that a paper of hers was read during that year at a UFO congress at the United Nations, has not been found.[6] Supposed hard evidence presented by Elizabeth included her set of 1956 photographs, the ring she received from Akon, a space rock or crystal, and a fern from Meton. Her supportive husband Aubrey remained unperturbed by his wife's love for Akon, reportedly saying, "That's all right with me – as long as he stays in space where he belongs".

1974 abduction event

Travellers Peter and Frances MacNorman claimed an abduction event on 31 May, which would have started near Fort Victoria in the current southern Zimbabwe, and which would have continued to the vicinity of Beitbridge on the South African border.

1979 Mindalore incident

On January 3, 1979, a mother and her 12-year-old son of Mindalore, Krugersdorp, both claimed an encounter with a group of human-like entities standing beside a craft. One of them would have encouraged her to depart with them permanently. After she refused, they would have entered the craft which shortly shot upwards and disappeared in 30 seconds.

Crash claims and hoaxes

1982 border crash

An anonymous person, claiming to be a retired apartheid era brigadier general of the South African Army, claimed in a 2004 Coast to Coast AM interview with Art Bell that he was an eye-witness to a crashed disc in November 1982. From a Pretoria air force base, he would have given the order to a Mirage pilot hundreds of miles away, to fire on a suspected MiG aircraft, that was deemed a risk to ground troops. It allegedly turned out to be a disc, which was brought down very near the South African or South West African border (self-contradictory elements of his testimony preclude a closer determination). He and his special operations team would have retrieved the 12 feet (3.7 m) wide craft holding two comatose grey beings, and would have returned these to Pretoria. The supposed artifacts were then briefly held at Ysterplaat, Cape Town, before allegedly flown to Andrews Field near Washington, D.C., where U.S. officials took custody. Similar, but evidently baseless reports, have been tied to earlier and later dates, and no additional witnesses have come forward

1989 Kalahari crash

According to supposed leaked documents an alien craft was shot down by South African aircraft, some 80 miles (130 kilometres) into Botswana, on 7 May. Two alien beings were claimed to have been captured on site. To date no primary witnesses have been traced, while the supporting documents, some obvious fakes, were all obtained from James van Greunen. Researcher Tony Dodd[68] lent Van Greunen some credibility in Quest magazine, but other researchers were highly skeptical. The claims have nonetheless been widely circulated, either as fact or as a case deserving investigation.

1995 Lesotho crash''

According to supposed leaked documents an alien craft crashed in Lesotho on 15 September. It was claimed that South African forces retrieved the craft and took three alien beings captive. The source of these documents is unknown, but is once again suspected to be James van Greunen. Failing to trace any key individuals or witnesses, researcher Michael Hesemann denounced it as 'a complete hoax'. Other researchers, though skeptical, held out hope to trace witnesses.